Visitor Printing at Yale
Printing Systems Status / Alerts
- The following information only applies to those individuals using Apple computers running macOS.
- This information does not apply to computers running the Microsoft Windows operating system.
- Yale ITS will perform maintenance on the PaperCut print servers on Monday, January 10, from 8:00 - 9:00 p.m.
- Possible action required to prevent interruptions printing through PaperCut.
A recent PaperCut server update interrupted the ability of some Mac computers to send print jobs to Papercut print queues.
On Monday, January 10, Yale will release a required new print configuration to address the issue. This solution will impact all individuals using macOS who print to Papercut print servers using the older print configuration. Printing through PaperCut could be interrupted after this time if you do not take action.
Possible action required
For additional assistance, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 203-432-9000 or visit our website to view answers to trending questions, search how-to articles, start a chat, or report a problem. Alternatively, you may contact your local IT support provider or BluePrint Support.
Visitor printing with a temporary Yale NetID
B&W = $ 0.08 per image for the 1st side and $ 0.04 per image for the 2nd side.
Color = $ 0.25 per image for each side.
Scans = Free
For visitors to add funds, the following must be true:
- You do not have a Yale NetID
- You have a guest Papercut account and wish to add funds to that account
Create a Papercut guest account
(Please note: all visitors will need to create a Papercut guest account used to pay for printing. When the guest account is created, you must add a valid email address. To access the YaleSecure network, you will need either a temporary NetID, a sponsored NETID, or access to the network through a special kiosk in various libraries.)
Frequently Asked Questions
BluePrint vs PaperCut
BluePrint refers to the department within YPPS that manages the University’s Copier Rental Program. All student printers are leased through YPPS and are considered BluePrint printers.
PaperCut is a print management application that resides on all BluePrint student printers. Using Papercut software or Papercut’s Web Print are the only way to print to BluePrint student printers.
YPPS’s PaperCut application provides secure print release functionality, print cost savings, and paper waste reduction. PaperCut also supports Yale University’s Office of Sustainability energy and resource reduction efforts.
How do I request a full balance refund?
If you are graduating and/or leaving Yale and would like to request a refund of the balance in your PaperCut User account:
- Send an email to email@example.com requesting a refund of the balance in your account.
- Please include your NetID and phone number
How do I request a refund for a print job?
To request a refund for a print job, do the following:
- Log into your PaperCut user page, and click the “Recent Print Jobs” link in the left menu
- In the Status column on the right click “request refund”. You will be brought to the “Refund Request” page.
- Type the reason for the refund request in the text box, then hit Send. The more descriptive the reason, the better the issue can be serviced so it doesn’t happen again.
How do I release a BluePrint print job?
At the Welcome Screen on the device, authenticate by touching your Yale ID to the Prox card reader. You can also authenticate by typing your Netid and Password on the device touchscreen keyboard.
Why is the BluePrint queue paused?
The BluePrint queues are global print queues set up for Hold and Release. This means the global queue will show as being in a ‘Paused’ state holding your print job until you swipe your Yale ID at the Prox card reader attached to the printer where you want to release the job.
How long is the PaperCut printing timeout?
To accommodate printing needs we have increased the Papercut Printing timeout from 4 hours to 12 hours.
Why is my Yale ID not working at the printer?
If you obtained a new or replacement Yale ID, it takes approximately 24 hours for the badge information to reach PaperCut. If, after 24 hours your Yale ID still does not work at a printer, email BluePrint@yale.edu. In the interim, you can enter your credentials directly on the printer.
I released my print job and nothing printed
The most common reason jobs don’t come out is not having sufficient funds in your account. You can check by logging onto your Papercut User page.
Second, is sending a document to print using Web Print and the document has some type of security on it and can’t release it because it can’t open it. Remove any security on the document if you want to use Web Print. You can put it back on after you have printed it.
Also, check that the printer is turned on and not in an error state.
Why does it say ‘Hold for Authentication’?
This can happen on Mac computers when a stored password has been changed and the old one is stored in the keychain. Go to the keychain and look for a BluePrint print queue entry, delete it, and try to print again entering the new password when prompted.
The printer is jammed
Find the nearest staff member to assist.
The printer is out of toner / paper
Find the nearest staff member to assist.
How do I WebPrint? What queues do I use?
- You must be on the Yale network with a temp netid or a Sponsored netid
- Go to your Papercut User page at https://ypps-webprint.its.yale.edu/user
- Submit the print job to the YalePrintguest queue and release at the print station that meets your printing need.
I can’t connect to the BluePrint queues
Verify you are on the Yale network and YaleSecure if wireless.
ITS Help Desk
Hours: 8:30 – 5:00 M-F
SOM Help Desk
Law School Help Desk
School of Drama
School of Forestry and Environmental Studies
Web: Computer Resources at Forestry (http://environment.yale.edu/myfes/computing)