Student Printing at Yale
Printing Systems Status / Alerts
You must be connected to the Yale Network (YaleSecure or VPN) to successfully utilize links and downloads below.
Web Print and Add Funds (PaperCut User Page)
PaperCut Mobility for Touchless Printing
Print and release from a BluePrint queue using a mobile device.
Best practices for mobility printing:
- Only release print jobs when standing next to the printer. Never remote-print high-risk data unless you are physically at the specific printer being used.
- Double check that you are printing to the correct printer before releasing.
- If documents were accidentally released and not picked up, follow up to ensure that they are retrieved. Contact email@example.com if you need help with a document that was sent to the wrong printer.
Download PaperCut for Windows
Download PaperCut for Mac
BluePrint Student Printer Locations
Frequently Asked Questions
What student printing options are available?
BluePrint printing is available to all students from the many Blueprint clusters around campus or a student can download the Papercut client and install it on their own computer.
Printing at Yale needs to be on the Yale network. Wireless devices are required to use YaleSecure. Off-campus printing can be done using VPN but print jobs are only held for 12 hours.
Students can also go to their Papercut User Page and Web Print from a browser.
The BluePrint PaperCut application provides print cost savings and paper waste reduction by offering secure print release capability. PaperCut also supports Yale University’s Office of Sustainability, energy and resource reduction efforts.
Papercut Mobility allows students to print and release from a BluePrint queue using an Android or iOS mobile device. This feature allows for driverless printing and touchless releasing of jobs from a designated BluePrint printer.
Web Print vs. PaperCut Software
- Web Print is a PaperCut web-based solution for driverless printing. It gives users easy access to print Microsoft Office, PDF, and image files directly from the browser on their own devices without the need to install printer drivers or software. PaperCut’s Web Print is a good solution for print jobs with files that are smaller than 100MB, documents without password security, and the output doesn’t require special features such as stapling or punch holes.
- The PaperCut software is client installed and better suited for printing big files, high volumes, and jobs needing driver specific print features.
BluePrint vs PaperCut
BluePrint refers to the department within YPPS that manages the University’s Copier Rental Program. All student printers are leased through YPPS and are considered BluePrint printers.
PaperCut is a print management application that resides on all BluePrint student printers. Using Papercut software or Papercut’s Web Print are the only way to print to BluePrint student printers.
YPPS’s PaperCut application provides secure print release functionality, print cost savings, and paper waste reduction. PaperCut also supports Yale University’s Office of Sustainability energy and resource reduction efforts.
What is PaperCut Mobility?
PaperCut Mobility allows students to print and release from a BluePrint queue using an Android or iOS mobile device. This feature allows for driverless printing and touchless releasing of jobs from a designated BluePrint printer.
How do I request a full balance refund?
If you are graduating and/or leaving Yale and would like to request a refund of the balance in your PaperCut User account:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting a refund of the balance in your account.
- Please include your NetID and phone number
How do I request a refund for a print job?
To request a refund for a print job, do the following:
- Log into your PaperCut user page, and click the “Recent Print Jobs” link in the left menu
- In the Status column on the right click “request refund”. You will be brought to the “Refund Request” page.
- Type the reason for the refund request in the text box, then hit Send. The more descriptive the reason, the better the issue can be serviced so it doesn’t happen again.
How much does printing cost?
The current rates for student printing and copying are:
- B&W = $ 0.08 per image for the 1st side and $ 0.04 per image for the 2nd side.
- Color = $ 0.25 per image for each side.
Scanning is Free.
How do I release a BluePrint print job?
At the Welcome Screen on the device, authenticate by touching your Yale ID to the Prox card reader. You can also authenticate by typing your Netid and Password on the device touchscreen keyboard.
Why is the BluePrint queue paused?
The BluePrint queues are global print queues set up for Hold and Release. This means the global queue will show as being in a ‘Paused’ state holding your print job until you swipe your Yale ID at the Prox card reader attached to the printer where you want to release the job.
How long is the PaperCut printing timeout?
To accommodate printing needs we have increased the Papercut Printing timeout from 4 hours to 12 hours.
Why is my Yale ID not working at the printer?
If you obtained a new or replacement Yale ID, it takes approximately 24 hours for the badge information to reach PaperCut. If, after 24 hours your Yale ID still does not work at a printer, email BluePrint@yale.edu. In the interim, you can enter your credentials directly on the printer.
The printer is out of toner / paper
The printer is jammed
I released my print job and nothing printed
The most common reason jobs don’t come out is not having sufficient funds in your account. You can check by logging onto your Papercut User page.
Second, is sending a document to print using Web Print and the document has some type of security on it and can’t release it because it can’t open it. Remove any security on the document if you want to use Web Print. You can put it back on after you have printed it.
Also, check that the printer is turned on and not in an error state.
Why does it say ‘Hold for Authentication’?
This can happen on Mac computers when a stored password has been changed and the old one is stored in the keychain. Go to the keychain and look for a BluePrint print queue entry, delete it, and try to print again entering the new password when prompted.
I can’t connect to the BluePrint queues
Verify you are on the Yale network and YaleSecure if wireless.
ITS Help Desk
Hours: 8:30 – 5:00 M-F
SOM Help Desk
Law School Help Desk
School of Drama
School of Forestry and Environmental Studies
Web: Computer Resources at Forestry (http://environment.yale.edu/myfes/computing)